David & Barbara Crabill migrated to Clark County, Ohio in 1808 from Loudoun County, Virginia. They were prosperous farmers who also ran a successful blacksmithing business in the early 19th century. David Crabill served in the War of 1812 as First Sergeant in Captain John Linigle’s Company of Militia. They had twelve children and the home was occupied by several generations of the Crabill family until the 20th century when it was rented out to tenant farmers.
In 1966, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers acquired the land and the homestead in preparation for the construction of the Clarence J. Brown Dam & Reservoir. The house stood vacant until 1973 when the homestead was offered to the Clark County Historical Society. The Crabill Homestead opened to the public as a historic site in July 1974 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.